The business potential of inkjet printing has caught your eye. You’ve read the articles and blogs, watched the videos, studied the research, and prowled a conference or two. You’re nearly convinced that an inkjet press can indeed transform your business, but there’s still a bit more to understand before you feel secure pulling the trigger on a purchase order.
Before moving to the next stage, inkjet press buyers need a different information set about total cost of inkjet ownership (TCO). Don’t assume you’ve got all the data you need. Push beneath the surface to where a broad set of factors lurk. If you don’t, your inkjet decision may not turn out the way you’d hoped. Use questions like the ones listed here to get a realistic TCO for inkjet printing. That way you can build a growth plan without getting blindsided by pricing surprises and hidden fees.
Uncover the Hidden Costs of Owning and Operating an Inkjet Press
As you evaluate your options, work with vendors to answer these 12 questions about inkjet press total cost of ownership:
- Start with the basics. Ask potential press providers how they measure the TCO of an inkjet press?
- Ask for a sample book of inkjet output at varying Image Quality (IQ) levels, ink drop sizes and resolutions.
- Other hardware add-ons, workflow software, memory or special features may cost extra. What does your vendor say?
- Hidden costs also lurk in lease terms, annual price escalations and potential tax implications. Bring all these out on the table.
- What about training, approved vs. non-approved paper, print heads and charges for third-party software? These are other places where hidden fees lurk. Shine a light on them.
- How much will installation cost? Sometimes this gets buried.
- Will installing your press require changes to your building’s infrastructure? Every facility is unique, so there’s no standard answer for this one.
- Is a skilled maintenance operator needed? Will the inkjet press require specially trained personnel to run?
- How much time is needed for machine maintenance, and how often is it required or recommended?
- How will billing meters be calculated?
- How are inkjet press supply costs handled? Supplies can greatly increase your total cost, whether they’re included in the service charge or purchased separately. Ask. Maybe twice.
- Are there additional charges for wasted sheets, or does the estimate account for those?
These suggestions give you a solid plan for an inkjet conversation, but don’t stop there. You can’t know too much about inkjet press TCO. This informative step-by-step guide, “Understanding the Total Cost of Ownership of an Inkjet Press,” covers all aspects of purchasing an inkjet press and uncovering any hidden fees lurking beneath the surface.
Download the guide here.