Written by Jeff Jacobson
President, Global Graphic Communications Operations, Xerox Corporation
I am not a Grinch – I love the holidays – but truth be told, my mind is already looking beyond eggnog and gifts, and is squarely focused on 2014 with great expectations.
As members of the graphic communication industry, we know how tough things can get – and yet, we are witnessing print’s amazing transformation. What a difference a year (or two) can make.
It feels good to be on the upside of print’s resurgence. Retail catalogs, transpromo pieces, photo specialty products and even books are finding their way back into the mainstream. If you’ve seen our #PrintWins campaign, it’s all about spreading awareness of the value and many benefits of print.
Let’s keep the momentum going. Here’s my take on five ways print service providers can thrive in 2014:
- Explore how inkjet can transform your business by gaining access to new pages. This is a fast moving opportunity and market leaders will likely capture the largest growth.
- Consider where and how workflow and digital capabilities can create high value in a personalized, cross-media world. By doing so, you can open doors into digital publishing platforms and Web-to-Print. Answer your clients’ demands now with the ability to incorporate digital print into integrated marketing campaigns.
- Think about wide format, one of the fastest growing segments of the graphic communication market. Our wide format customers are experiencing quick revenue returns and new profit opportunities.
- Push your digital cut-sheet presses to their limits. While you explore new revenue opportunities within the inkjet or wide format markets, don’t forget what cut-sheet can offer: fast production time, repeatable image quality and application flexibility.
- Invest in business development tools. Learn how to sell personalized print to retailers, secure vertical market business or manage a successful sales force and increase margins.
I remain bullish and confident in the industry, and am humbled to be among such amazing business professionals: our customers. You are redefining this market in bold and exciting ways, making history and cementing the future. Let’s continue to work together to ensure the best is yet to come.
And just to set the record straight, there’s no “bah, humbug!” when it comes to me and the holidays. I wish you and your families a wonderful holiday season, and a great start to 2014!