Written by Jeff Jacobson
President, Global Graphic Communications Operations, Xerox Corporation
I am not a Grinch – I love the holidays – but truth be told, my mind is already looking beyond eggnog and gifts, and is squarely focused on 2014 with great expectations.
As members of the graphic communication industry, we know how tough things can get – and yet, we are witnessing print’s amazing transformation. What a difference a year (or two) can make.
It feels good to be on the upside of print’s resurgence. Retail catalogs, transpromo pieces, photo specialty products and even books are finding their way back into the mainstream. If you’ve seen our #PrintWins campaign, it’s all about spreading awareness of the value and many benefits of print.
Let’s keep the momentum going. Here’s my take on five ways print service providers can thrive in 2014:
- Explore how inkjet can transform your business by gaining access to new pages. This is a fast moving opportunity and market leaders will likely capture the largest growth.
- Consider where and how workflow and digital capabilities can create high value in a personalized, cross-media world. By doing so, you can open doors into digital publishing platforms and Web-to-Print. Answer your clients’ demands now with the ability to incorporate digital print into integrated marketing campaigns.
- Think about wide format, one of the fastest growing segments of the graphic communication market. Our wide format customers are experiencing quick revenue returns and new profit opportunities.
- Push your digital cut-sheet presses to their limits. While you explore new revenue opportunities within the inkjet or wide format markets, don’t forget what cut-sheet can offer: fast production time, repeatable image quality and application flexibility.
- Invest in business development tools. Learn how to sell personalized print to retailers, secure vertical market business or manage a successful sales force and increase margins.
I remain bullish and confident in the industry, and am humbled to be among such amazing business professionals: our customers. You are redefining this market in bold and exciting ways, making history and cementing the future. Let’s continue to work together to ensure the best is yet to come.
And just to set the record straight, there’s no “bah, humbug!” when it comes to me and the holidays. I wish you and your families a wonderful holiday season, and a great start to 2014!
The #PrintWins campaign rocks! Excellent way to demonstrate the value of print through social media. I know it’s inspired me!
Wide format does seem to open up a lot of opportunities.
Merry Christmas to you, too, Jeff!
Very helpful information…Only ONE of the reason I love your blog. I have you on my “Reader” list…and every time that you post, I love to see what’s new and what’s up with you. Again, you never disappoint.
Thank you so much for this helpful info!!
Great article and video Jeff. What you’ve shared will be on the agenda for my customer discussions in Q1.
Nothing like a paper and ink page. All the other stuff needs batteries, power cords, screens and what-not. The resurgence of the printed page was bound to happen sooner or later. A guy at Ready Set Print (http://www.readysetprint.com.au) says prospects look good for the industry. Well Jeff, that makes two of you at least who are optimistic. Me… put me down as hopeful.
wish you a happy and successfull year!
Hope you heard, I have done my part 🙂
(2nd CP1000 and another 144EA)
Hope to see you again soon.
Greetings from Vienna
Katherine – thank you, I hope you enjoyed the holidays and am glad you see the opportunities in wide format.
SD – thank you for taking the time to comment. With all the attention print media has been receiving in news outlets, we see lots of reasons to feel enthusiastic about the industry as a whole. That enthusiasm will only grow in 2014, especially as print providers look to capitalize on some of the opportunities mentioned in the article above
Michael – great to hear from you! I wish you and digiDruck a prosperous 2014, and it sounds like you are already off to a fast start with your newly added Color 1000 and Nuvera!
Comments are closed.